About Me

My photo
I've been writing since I could first hold a pencil, and by all accounts I didn't limit myself to paper. Walls, tablecloths and the occasional sibling were all fair game, and it shouldn't be surprising to learn that markers were banned in my home with all due haste. Although I now content myself with inconveniencing electrons, the desire to bring the stories in my mind to life hasn't waned. In my spare time, I read, putter in the kitchen, and relax on my terrace or at the lake, weather permitting, with my corgi who strives to be part muse, part food disposal. I'm also addicted to coffee and have a close relationship with my Keurig.

Friday, April 6, 2018

The Ocean at the End of the Lane review

The Ocean at the End of the LaneThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was astonishing, and completely engrossing. Maybe because I was one of those bookish kids myself, happier in my fantasy worlds than in the real world. Maybe it was because even in the heart of a bustling city, you can still feel alone.

The nameless narrator reminded me of so many things from my own youth, not the least of which was how much I would have wanted to be like Lettie-fearless and independent. The juxtaposition of his home life, with the discord between him and his father, and the affair with Ursula behind his mother's back, and the welcoming warmth of the Hempstock farm creates the sort of tension in a reader that keeps you turning pages. The language is almost lyrical, and the recurring imagery of the moon and the ocean adds a gloss of tranquility over the turbulence that is existence.

Love this book, love this author. Read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment